Saturday, September 5, 2015

Holding Fire: Short Stories of Self-Destruction

Holding Fire: Short Stories of Self-DestructionHolding Fire: Short Stories of Self-Destruction by Scott Hughes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I bought this book in order to get my blog registered for the online book club site. However my review is 100% honest. The book is interesting in that each story is written by a newbie author most of the authors are high school or college students. Each and every one of the stories was written like a professionally written novel. I want to make sure everyone understands that my problems have nothing to do with writing style, but rather the themes of the stories in general.

A theme of self-destruction does not lead to warm and happy feeling, but I was hoping for some good endings all the same. There were a few stories that ended nicely, but most of them were depressing. I was hoping for more redemption and while some do feature redemption most of them don't. I don't really understand how so many of the stories could end up being so depressing. I mean one story is about an abused child who grows up to kill himself because his drunk abusive father kill his best and only friend in a car crash.

View my story by story review at: http://misty103.hubpages.com/hub/Holding-Fire-Short-Stories-of-Self-Destruction-Kindle-Edition-by-Scott-Hughes

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment